EVERYTHING (ALMOST) YOU WANTED TO KNOW (WHO WANTS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS STUFF?), BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK. I am totally html inept, but will do my best to keep this blog supplied with plenty of syntax junk. The main aim here is to help my students (my future colleagues, in fact) come to grips with the syntax of English, even if they can't stand it.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

CONFUSING THAT (RP) & THAT (SC)

THAT can be a little confusing due to the fact that there is a THAT used for subordination (subordinating conjunction) and another, which is the relative pronoun.

THAT as a subordinating conjunction does not usually follow a noun; therefore it does not modify one. If THAT does not follow a noun, chances are it is a subordinating conjunction and not a relative pronoun.

e.g. I THOUGHT THAT YOU HAD LEFT.
- There is no noun preceding THAT, therefore it is a subordinating conjunction.

Another way is to check if THAT is a relative pronoun or a subordinating conjunction is to verify if the clause following THAT can be used as an independent clause (excluding THAT, of course).

e.g. I THOUGHT THAT YOU HAD LEFT.
- “You had left” can be an independent clause (excluding THAT); therefore, THAT is a subordinating conjunction.

Yet another way to check if THAT is a relative pronoun or a subordinating conjunction is to verify if the word THAT can be exchanged for the word WHICH.

e.g. I HAVE NEVER EATEN MEAT THAT WAS SO TENDER.
- I have never eaten meat WHICH* was so tender.

*NB: This is merely to check if THAT is a relative pronoun. It is not recommended for the sentence itself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Higor Cavalcante said...

That is kind easy. Could it be that I'm getting fonder of Syntax, after all?

11:33 AM

 
Blogger Thought Criminal said...

Keep on writing and I'll keep on learning. Really!!
It's been a big help.
Layne ( one of the CNA teachers from Rio):)

7:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home